Discover how nano-coatings for luxury watches can provide extra quality and durability
Firstly, what is a nano-coating exactly?
Nano-coatings are defined as the application of one-phase solid structures, of which one dimension is smaller than 100 nm onto a surface, adding a specific property which otherwise would not be accomplished. These coatings may be built up by layers or by the combination of particles thinner than 100 nm that offer enhanced surface properties.
The important question that must be addressed is:
What benefits does nano-coating for luxury watches bring?
It is well documented that materials are believed to possess different properties at a nanoscale (particularly 1–100 nm) than in other scales. This offers the opportunity for exploration of novel applications to unexpected materials. For instance, common properties such as melting point, fluorescence, electrical conductivity, magnetic permeability, and chemical reactivity alter with particle size.
Properties of a given nano-coating are heavily dependent on the constituent nanostructures. For example in nanoparticles, their minuscule size offers more surface area per unit mass, implying possible improvements in terms of reactivity and capacity that may be highly desirable depending on the application.
Types and Applications of nano-coatings
- Anti-corrosive coatings: When applied to a metal, the coating stops chemical compounds coming into contact with corrosive materials, this stops processes like oxidation.
- Waterproof and non-stick clothing: A hydrophilic coating can be applied to various pieces of clothing, whilst the non-stick has applications in furniture, electricals and glass.
- Antibacterial coating: These coatings help to inhibit the growth of microorganisms, which is particularly suitable for areas such as public transport.
- Thermal barrier coating: This type of coating is particularly prevalent in the aviation industry and is normally applied to metallic surfaces. The elevated temperatures that planes work at have opened up the possibility of the coatings’ use in high powered automobiles.
- Anti-abrasion coatings: The main application of this coating is to prolong the life cycle of the surface by lessening the amount of friction that occurs.
- Self-healing coatings: The filled nano-capsules inside this coating help repair the surface should any scratching occur. They can be found in everyday items including phones and automotive paints.
- Anti-reflection coatings: This coating does not increase transmission, rather it just reduces the reflection on the incident side
- Anti-graffiti coatings: These are invisible to the naked eye and prevent costly expenditure to the government and companies in cleaning up graffiti.
What are the benefits of nano-coatings for luxury watches?
Nano surface treatments with vacuum technology are a great solution for nano-coatings for luxury watches. Advanced Nanotechnologies can help by identifying the needs of the luxury watch market in terms of surface treatments and creating a set of technical specifications regarding the possible solution for each of them. Nano-coating of very low coefficient of friction and highly resistant to wear. It is the best in the market in terms of friction coefficient and resistance to wear.